View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 11, 2012, 09:47 PM

Moffitt is a good idea

Patti;
First off - if your Doc won't discuss results with you or doesn't have a decent 'bedside manner' - then maybe you should look for another Doc - and again - like I told you in an earlier post - keep a journal - or notebook with all of Dean's lab work, test results, etc. Your medical records are your own - and you have a RIGHT to a copy of any of them, including the BMB results which you should have also.
As far as the Dacogen goes - this is the way the hema/onc explained it to us when we were in Florida. "You live in a decent neighborhood. (Your good bone marrow) Then the 'hooligans' invade your neighborhood (the MDS blasts) You call the police in (the Dacogen) and they start to keep the hooligans in line. You call more police in - (continued Dacogen therapy) and the hooligans disappear. But, when the police stop - the hooligans come back. We were told that Earl could never actually stop the therapy - but so far it hasn't worked for him at all. You might increase the time between treatments - but you can't stop completely - or the MDS will come back. I know it is a simple way to explain in - but the Doc really did a good job with us. I just wish we were back there for Earl.
You can also record your Doctor's visits - this way, you can review what he did or did not tell you.
Earl can't take Revlimid as one of the side effects is blood clotting, and Earl has APS (sticky blood - also called Hughes Syndrome). But, with his low platelet count - he hasn't received any blood thinner - except when they found the clot that I told them he had in his right arm. Even then - he only got it for about 5 days, as the platelets dropped to 10,000.
I wish you both much luck - but NEVER be afraid to ask the Doc questions - you have a right to answers about your husband's treatment.

Beth

Last edited by milliken2 : Sat Aug 11, 2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: fprgpt wprd