View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 11:36 AM

To be nervous or not to be. That is my Q.

Hi,

My name is Scott, and I was diagnosed with SAA in January 2011. I am in the Army and still in the Army somehow. Just a little background on me. I was medivacd from Fort Wainwright in Fairbanks, Alaska. I was sent to the University of Washington. After I arrived I was given a BMB which confirmed SAA. I went through ATG(horse) and I was put on cyclosporine. After about 30 days I was finally moved to Fort Lewis where I was transferred to the WTU(Warrior Transition Unit) I was monitored from there on my progress as I struggled to deal with my symptoms and Army life. In May I was released from the WTU with a partial remission and stayed on the Cyclosporine till August 2011. I was tapered pretty quick.

Since being off the medicine the Army deemed me fit for duty and sent me to Fort Irwin, California on December 19th, 2011. I have been having my blood counts monitored slightly and such.

What I am worried about is a possible relapse soon. Which is why I write this, and wondering what others think or noticed about a relapse they have had.

Right now my counts are good but seem to be on this rollercoaster....

When I first got here I had a RBC=4.9,WBC=6.8, PLAT=185 (Dec 27th, 2011)

Here are my following blood draws.
Jan 3- RBC=5.39, WBC=6.9, PLAT=169.7
Jan 19-RBC=5.21, WBC=6.8, PLAT=176.1
Feb 3-RBC=5.36, WBC=7, PLAT=143.1
Feb 11-RBC=5.40, WBC=7.2, PLAT=163.8

I expressed to the doctors how I want to monitor this and I feel like they either don't care or don't see it as important as I do.

I have been sick since I got here, and the reason I went in on the 3rd and 11th is because I haven't been doing anything at work to give myself random bruises so I wanted that checked.

The problem I am seeing is that my platelet's are on what I feel is like a roller coaster...They keep falling and jumping back up but never reaching the status of where they were on the 19th of december and on every occasion it feels to me like they go down and then when they go back up it is still decreasing in number as it goes 185 to 169 to 176 to 143 to 163...

So I am worried if anyone who has relasped saw this type of roller coaster with there platelets before relapsing. I want to be proactive about this even if these military doctor's don't want to be. I feel like it's going to continue especially with how life in the army is.

What's next a 163 to 138 to 154 to 120...etc..The main reason I ask is a friend of mine who relapsed said his counts were fine when all of a sudden one of his counts started to drop and then another and then another. I feel like I am just nervous and looking over my shoulder everyday now, wondering if this is my count starting to drop....=/