View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 03:14 PM

MDS RA with Multilineal Dysplasia

Dx 11/12/07 with low grade MDS RA with Multilineal Dysplasia (whatever that is?); WBC 26.7; RBC 5.26; Hemo 17.6; Plat 20 and on and on with a bunch of stuff I don't understand but evidently need to learn about.
Hi There Everyone - Name is Steve and while I'm sure that I have had this for a while (1 yr) didn't become apparent till routine physical last month. Doctor first treated me for ITP - Prednisone - but hasn't done anything and when Bone Marrow work came back showing MDS he has now started to take me off of that. Does anyone out there know what to make of the Genoptix Lab Flow Cytometry Report or the Cytogenetics Report (MDS FISH was normal?) What is Multilineal Dysplasia? I guess I'm like most people newly diagnosed - lots of questions, little understanding, a little apprehensive, but very willing to do whatever it takes. I have learned in the last week that one had better take charge of this illness and possible treatment options as evidently along the way we as patients must make a number of decisions for ourselves. I have also learned that it is all pretty complicated so any good advice will be greatly appreciated. Going to John Hopkins, Dr Steven Gore, who I think is on the leading edge of MDS research - does anyone have any experience at JH or with him? I have figured out that I don't have the flu and this will be around for a while - so I guess I've got lots of time to learn about it. Definitely not a week long project!
What I've been told is that I have very low grade and that the only thing really out of whack is platelets. While that isn't good I guess lots of people discover this situation in far worse shape than I. Actually I feel pretty good.
Hope to get to know some of you and certainly would appreciate your input. Thanks!