View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 08:40 PM
Owner

Erica and Andre,

If you're looking for silver linings in a dark cloud, start with the fact that you found a matched donor in the registry. That wasn't something you or the doctors could control, so consider yourselves lucky.

Also please know that many people have traveled the path you find yourself on, and you've found one of the places where you can talk to them and their families. Feel free to ask questions, tell us what's going on, or complain about all the frustrations patients and their families have to go through.

Being in your 30s is an advantage over patients who are too old to consider a transplant. My wife had a successful transplant when she was in her 40s. Kids do well with transplants but are often too young to understand what's going on or to participate in decision-making with their doctors. You can do both.

Doctors know a lot about controlling infections, and we'll keep our fingers crossed that you can finally get past them and reach a stable point where all treatment options are available. You've got a team with a lot of medical science behind you, and AA treatment is better and more successful today than at any time in the past. I'm sure you want to get past this disease and get on with your lives, but since you're stuck with this detour for now I hope you'll stay positive, consider what you have going for you, and look forward to success.