View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 25, 2016, 07:25 PM

What to do about fever

Thanks for all the great advice on why you call the doctor, or go to the emergency room, when you have a fever.

Mine hit 102.6 yesterday and 102.8 today. I called my doc and went to the emergency room this afternoon.

I saw my oncology nurse, Stacey, this morning, and she provided a most excellent dissertation on why you call the doctor and go to the emergency room with fever.

Her advice had two main points:

Acetaminophen/ Tylenol and other fever reducers
Stacey said the heat that is produced by fever is actually a trigger for the attack of the B-cells and T-cells, so taking a fever reducer can short circuit the immune response -- particularly among we folk who have junk for an immune system anyway.

Going Septic
Whether or not you take a fever reducer, at some point the fever may well break and your temperature plunge rather quickly back to normal or below. This does not necessarily indicate your immune system has won the battle. Instead it can be a sign that you have gone septic -- your immune system has simply retreated to build up reinforcements and try again later. It appears this is what happened to me, because yesterday's fever re-emerged 24 hours later.

So. Got a fever? Call your doctor or go to the emergency room.

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com