View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 08:01 AM

I'm so sorry that you had such a bad experience with all of this. And to make matters worse, to have the medical establishment dismiss you like that, well I don't know what to say about that. Too many thought running through my mind.

Being a match for someone does not make you the lucky one. It's a noble act on your part and your brother is lucky to have you and not just for your bone marrow. I'm sure he appreciates what you have done for him.

I hope you are feeling better and if not, pursue this with your doctor or get a second opinion. We don't hear much from the donors and assume that most recover quickly. I just heard a piece on the news where a doctor made a feeble attempt at explaining BM donation. She reduced it down to "it's like giving blood". There is a risk involved for the donor and that should be acknowledged.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.