View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 12:20 PM

Wow - 160 mg Prednisone seems like a lot - I take prednisone for skin nodules that can be itchy and painful and are somehow related to the MDS - originally i started with a package designed to taper in a week starting at 60 mgs - worked great but after tapering the nodules came back. I've been taking 10mg a day for a couple of years - sometimes more and don't really notice it much. If I take a higher dose I get irritable - when I try and taper or get off I get tired and the nodules return. I'm told higher than 10 mg puts one at risk for certain infections - I think a short term course to address a specific problem isn't much to worry about and it can really work wonders. It doesn't seem to do anything to my blood counts. Tapering after long term use seems very difficult
We're hoping that Vidaza eliminate the nodules as well as restore my blood to close to normal - but so far after three cycles counts are all down and nodules are still there. How long did it take for Vidaza to work for you? I fear a SCT lies somewhere down the road - part of the uncertainty and acceptance.
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015