View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 08:12 PM

Experiences with oral Vidaza

My Dad is 80 and was diagnosed with AML in August. He went through two chemotherapies until December without any major problems. He did not even feel sick once. After those two chemotherapies, his platelet count was close to zero. So his doctor signed him up to participate in an international clinical study with oral Vidaza, double-blind. Neither his doctor nor he knew wether it was really oral Vidaza or just a placebo. My Dad started to take two tablets just before Christmas, every morning around 9.30 am. From the first day on, he knew it was no placebo, because five hours later, he started to feel really sick. Some days he even had to vomit. This happened every day for over a week. Then his doctor told him to interrupt the clinical study. After a break of three weeks, they now want to try again with just one tablet or a lower dose of oral Vidaza.
Has anybody of you experienced such a bad reaction to oral Vidaza?
Obviously it would be great to have Vidaza as a tablet at home, so you don't need to go to the hospital to get shots. But if it is so tough on my Dads stomach, I wonder whether it would be better for him to take Vidaza shots.