View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 11:01 AM

Managing Vidaza side effects

Hi, Danny
I, too, have the understanding that Vidaza continues until it either stops working or you get a transplant. Unfortunately, my husband wound up in the hospital after his first three injections so was unable to continue. If it is working to keep your blood counts up, you are winning!
Probably your best course of action is to try to alleviate the side effects. I know that many have gotten relief from the skin reaction by putting evening primrose oil on the injection site immediately after the injection and then again every time you think about it. Use the vitamin/supplement gel caps: pierce one end and squeeze it on your skin.
My husband has been encouraged to rinse his mouth/gargle with baking soda & salt in lukewarm water after each of his chemos . . . I don't know whether that would help with the metalic taste and raspy tongue, but give it a try if you haven't already.
I wish my husband had been able to tolerate the Vidaza; his options for dealing with this are limited.
hubby 73, dx NHL 2001, CNS involvement. SCT (auto) 5/08 [dx UTUC renal pelvis, 2010/surgeries/MMC], MANY recurrences, chemos, surgeries, rad. dx t-MDS 3/11: IPSS 1.5 (Int-2); MDA 11, RCMD trilineage, inc. Fe, ring sideroblasts, 7q del/mono 7 (51.5%), 46,XY,t(6,17)(p22;q25)[4]/45,XY,-7[4]/46,XY[12].