View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 07:57 PM

I haven't read the article but yes I have high zinc and low copper, however I also have a chromosome deletion and some gene mutations so the thinking is reversed in my case. I dont take excess zinc.

It is thought that the reason my zinc is high is because my copper is low (not the other way round) due to malabsorption, high urinary excretion and (potentially) disrupted intracellular copper transport. If you don't absorb enough copper through the enterocytes you absorb more zinc by default. I tried a low zinc diet but it's just about impossible to avoid zinc in foods. So now I just avoid foods that are known to have high zinc levels.

My iron levels are whacky and I've never fully had them explained to me. Originally I was told I had iron deficiency anaemia and had iron infusions which never caused any increase in reticulocyte count. Then I became allergic to the iron infusions (anaphylaxis and ICU admission) so no more infusions for the following three years. Then suddenly my BMB went from no iron stores to increased iron deposits and ringed sideroblasts. My ferritin went from normal to over 5000 in the space of a month and a liver biopsy showed hepatitis from moderate iron overload.

If anyone can figure out what's going on I'd be grateful. I was seeing a very respected Prof of Metabolic Medicine who was convinced it was due to a missing copper transport protein.
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion