View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 02:31 PM

Cellularity from Bone Marrow Biopsy Results?

Hi Kathie,

Thanks so much for your post! No, you are not alone... there are several of "us" out here battling this -- all with different stories and situations. I have learned a lot from this forum, although it seems not a great number of people have my exact situation (i.e. slow-moving pancytopenia).

When I had my bone marrow biopsies (the last one in June 2009), I was told I had a bone marrow cellularity of between 15-20%. They described me as being "hypo-plastic" or "hypo-cellular" -- in other words, I had less than the expected number of blood-making cells in the marrow for someone my age. The formula for calculating the expected cellularity is "100 minus your age", so for someone my age (currently 52), I ought to have a cellularity of 100-52 = 48% cellularity! But instead, I have ~15% to 20%.

Did they tell you what your cellularity was after your bone-marrow biopsy?

I am supposed to go back to the hematologist later this week, so maybe I can post an update for the year then... but for the most part, things with me have remained about the same in the last year.

David M