Thread: New to SAA
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 6, 2016, 08:08 AM

Hi Sarah - sorry you have to go through this - it must be especially scary and difficult having to understand complicated medical information presented in a foreign language. I don't have experience with SAA but I do have plenty of experience with prednisone. How much are you taking? Your post mentioned 1/2 but I don't understand what that means - 1/2 what? Prednisone can cause all sorts of ups and down - high doses (50mg per day)made it difficult for me to sleep, made me jittery and agitated - short tempered - anxious - and ravenously hungry -also reduced muscle and made me diabetic. I'm down to 15mg/2.5 mg every other day and the effects are far less pronounced.

My guess, from some internet research, is the VSG is the "velocidad de sedimentation globular" - which is the same thing as the erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) or Sed Rate - which roughly speaking, measures inflammation in the body - which may be associated with a variety of conditions including autoimmune - here is a link describing the test - it sounds like your results are not abnormal - but please don't rely on me - ask your doctor for clarification - I am not a doctor and don't speak all that much Spanish - http://www.healthline.com/health/esr#NormalResults6

Hope that helps a bit - best wishes,
Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015