View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 24, 2014, 06:54 PM

Cryo-Preserved Bone Marrow Bank?

Hey friends...

I'm exploring what it would take for us to start a cryo-bank for bone marrow as an alternative to the current practice of live donor based treatments.

I'd like to open up a discussion here.

Here is the basic idea...

-----

Thousands of cancer patients need bone marrow transplants every year to survive.

In 1988, the first cord blood banks started cryopreserving the same kinds of stem cells that are in bone marrow.

In 2001, the FDA expanded their already broad mandate for bone marrow transplants – and separately allowed for the broad use of cryopreservation in medicine without seeking re-approval for already allowed procedures.

Then in 2011, a federal court reclassified bone marrow as a blood product instead of an organ — making it immediately legal to buy and sell it.

And yet, currently no one collects bone marrow from organ donors.

This is happening even though there’s a huge waiting list for bone marrow transplants and they’re one of the most profoundly powerful medical procedures that mankind can do. It literally lets you replace someone’s whole blood system… and immune system along with it. Since lots of diseases are related to the immune system attacking things it shouldn’t (or not attacking things that it should), bone marrow transplants would be an incredible new platform for medicine if not for the vanishingly small supply of bone marrow.

source: http://rockstarresearch.com/we-could...s-but-we-dont/
---

Here are some facts about the advantages...

http://i.imgur.com/4cp3YCT.jpg?1

Curious what your reaction / ideas / thoughts are about this.

Would you consider this as an option if it was available and was proven to be as if not more effective?

Thanks so much for your insights here.

Anthony

Last edited by Anthony : Fri Oct 24, 2014 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Image was too big!