View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 23, 2015, 08:22 PM

I want to thank all of you who responded, and for the insightful information you posted.

Sometimes things happen in strange ways. I went To the Cancer Center I have dealt with for a year now for a scheduled appointment on Tuesday afternoon (September 22nd). I saw my fourth PA in my last four visits. I took with me a document that I had composed, listing my issues and concerns. I gave this document to the PA. It spelled out all of my issues. I was ready to drop the cancer center and my current cancer doctor. This PA seemed to actually care. She saw that I meant business. I left her and went and got blood work done. I then went back to see her again to discuss the results of the blood work. While I was gone she called my cancer doctor and talked to him about my issues regarding the Vidaza frequency of use, and the other things that I had listed.

I got their attention! The PA set me up for a 30 minute appointment with my cancer doctor for Monday September 28th. As I was pulling into the front yard where I live my cell phone started to ring. It was my cancer doctor calling me. He said that he had talked to the cancer doctor from Emory University Hospital that I mentioned in my document that I had left with the PA. My cancer doctor told me that him and the cancer doctor from Emory University Hospital were in agreement, based upon my blood work results to change me over to Dacogen from Vidaza. My cancer doctor also said that he had a call in to talk to the cancer doctor that I saw on Monday September 21st. This change requires me to have a port. Dacogen is administered IV and not by shots like Vidaza.

Right after the call from my cancer doctor I got a call from a person at the Houston (we pronounce it House Ton) Medical Center in Warner Robins, Georgia, wanting to set me up for an appointment for a port installation this Thursday morning (September 24th). I go back next Monday afternoon, September 28th to the Cancer Center to see my cancer doctor, and to begin the Dacogen infusion.

I really did not want to drop the Cancer Center, but I had had it with them. It is so convenient for me. Four miles from where we live. It takes me 14 minutes to get there, using back roads. The parking lot is easy to get in and out of, and is within 50 feet of the cancer centers main entrance. The building itself is large and open with lots of glass walls, and the air smells fresh.
I am glad that I got their attention. Dacogen and Vidaza are cousins as I understand it, but do some different things. Vidaza was beginning to not work for me, so maybe all of this will work out for the better. I am happy that my cancer doctor was willing to reach out to the cancer doctor at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, and to the other cancer doctor that I went to see, and was willing to discuss my case with them.