Thread: ATg response
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 12, 2011, 11:01 AM

response to ATG

Kelly,
Don't panic! i had rabbit about the same time as your daughter...March 2011, she will have had more transfusions because the ALG destroys platelets on a daily basis until it has left the system totally which can be up to 3 weeks after infusion.
Then the only places where your blood can be made is the shoulders, chest, skull and hips (flat bones) so there is an awful lot of making to do. Counts dont normally significantly change until about 3 months, and you won't see a marked change until about 6 months...we are all different so some people respond quicker than others...all mine are still low, but HB keeps fluctuating from 8 - 10, but I know that this could all change next week! its very very hard i know, but keep the faith, get your daughter to imagine how its going to be when she gets better, get her to plan the future, I have found that this helps!
There is also an aplastic anemia site on facebook and you can see from peoples posts there that this is a personal thing, one lady has taken one and half years, but guess what, she is in FULL remission!
I have today been out to lunch with friends, we sat outside so I kept away from bug ridden humans (grin) so try and normalise your daughters life, make it busy and then the "waiting" isn't so bad. But yes it is frustrating because we pin everything on those counts rising. Remember...even well people have rises and falls in blood counts.
I had another 2 bags of platelets yesterday (monday) they apparently take much longer to be produced by our marrow. xxxxxx Karen