View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 29, 2009, 11:13 AM

Hi Jen,

Eosinophils are produced in response to an infection or an allergen, such as a drug reaction. Ethan's rash could support some type of reaction, which also seems to be affecting his lungs. The day you said his eosinophils were 0.9 is the same day his rash appeared and he was coughing and congested. Was he sneezing too? Do his symptoms act like asthma?

0.9 eosinophils is high, so it's good that that number has come down, but I'm a bit confused. The WBC count is all the sub-types of white cells added up. For example, if someone had:

neutrophils 0.5
basophils 0.0
monocytes 0.1
lymphocytes 0.4
eosinphils 0.3

These all add up to a WBC count of 1.3. So if Ethan's eosinophils were 0.9 and his anc was 0.3, then his WBC count should have been at least 1.1, not 0.4. I am only bringing this to your attention in case they have mis-reported something to you. Maybe you meant 0.09?

If this keeps up, I would say Ethan is reacting to something and may need a dose or two of solucortef (or another steroid) to simmer things down.

Just my opinion of course, but something is going on that is leaving Ethan feeling yucky and they need to figure that out.
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil