View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 7, 2011, 08:31 PM

Saa-vsaa

Hi Jody,

Well, let me chime in on this one...and offer my non-expert opinion. MAA, SAA, VSAA were created a while back to determine how long an AA patient could be expected to live. Our prognosis back 40 years ago was very grim.

I think doctors have pulled back from these definitions a bit recently, and they even gloss over them at patient conferences. It would seem that the neutrophil count is more important in determining how quickly doctors need to move on your case.

If you are in the moderate category, the doctors may put you in a holding pattern, whereas more severe manifestations of the disease either require ATG or a BMT.

My hemotologist even told me that I could have either SAA to MAA depending on how much you value platelets and red blood cells. My whites and ANCs hung in there at about .800, but my platelets and rbcs got hacked to pieces. So, how do you define that?

I guess my advice is for you not to get too wrapped up in definitions that may not be clinically significant.

The big deal is response to ATG. When you go to that conference in October, try to sit next to Dr. Scheinberg at lunch. He is really friendly and knows soooo much about this illness. You'll love his presentation too.

Hope this helps.