Thread: Shingles?
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 20, 2016, 02:25 PM

Typically, if he had chicken pox, he should still have immunity to chicken pox. If he did not have chicken pox but had the vaccination for it, there's a possibility the protection may not be as good depending on how long ago the vaccination was.

Regarding shingles, which John got after treatment, we were told that they are not transmitted like chicken pox. Instead, you have to have physical contact with the rash. The biggest risk is to pregnant women.

So I think there's a low risk of catching shingles. As you know, shingles is a reactivation of the chicken pox virus that is dormant in your body. I would be more concerned with the chicken pox virus depending on his history and current status of his immune system.

I would take the same precautions you would for avoiding colds and flu. err on the side of caution.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.