Thread: Shingles?
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 20, 2016, 06:50 PM

I had shingles in March/April this year. My understanding is that once you have had chicken pox you have the varicella (shingles) virus forever. It remains dormant unless the body gives it the right environment to flourish. I have low immunity to infections and viruses due to MDS, and was under a lot of stress caring for three children under 10. (I had had chicken pox as a child).

For me, shingles was terribly painful even though I only had one blistery lesion. It was focused on the sciatic nerve in my left buttock and down into my groin and sitting was very uncomfortable. It also affected my bladder (urinary retention) and I had to be hospitalised in order to stabilise. After about 6-8 weeks it went away very quickly after I took big doses of Olive Leaf extract (recommended by my younger brother).

My understanding from research is that people with MDS or at least with low immunity shouldn't have the injection as it is a live vaccine.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.