View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 22, 2013, 12:56 PM

"Even when he was at 1.9 on his WBCs last week his nutriphils were in the upper end of normal. I'll have to ask to see why they give it sometimes and why not."

Heather, IMHO I can't think of any reason why a transplant team would continue to give Ronald GCSF if his neutrophils are in the upper end of normal, especially given where his other counts are. Unless he was still dealing with severe neutropenia and suffering from regular infections I don't think an experienced team would give GCSF at the intervals you suggest post transplant without a solid reason. I would seriously question why they are doing this and ask maybe even for data to back it up.

I'm so sorry to come across so strongly here & dont want to upset you but even with my minimal experience & understanding, it just seems off. Prior to transplant, I regularly gave myself GCSF shots when my neutrophils fell below 500 (.5) for 1-1/2 years, under very close watch from my Hematologist. When I switched to the transplant team 1 month prior to my MUD transplant, my transplant Dr's at Fred Hutch in Seattle were adamant I stop my GcSF several weeks prior to transplant regardless of my counts, and very clearly told me I would not have this post transplant unless it was very clear I didn't engraft by day 30 + (I believe this may be longer for full transplants but I had a mini-so engraftment should have been between day 14-21 & I engrafted at day 21).

All my best,