View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 30, 2019, 07:43 PM

Haven’t posted in quite a while. My mother was diagnosed at 77 yrs old with High Risk MDS. She had 37 months of Vidaza which helped to keep her blood count at levels that did not require transfusions until the last year of treatment. While on Vidaza, she felt well for two weeks out of 4.... although her life changed a lot, she was still able to enjoy. She has been off Vidaza for over 2 yrs now. She is transfusion dependent( every 3 weeks) and other than 3 infections, and 2 close calls, she is still with us. It has taken its toll...she barely eats now (no appetite whatsoever —she might weigh 90 lbs) can barely walk and although she still lives independently (in a senior’s residence), she has a lot of help —-but still looks after her own needs. She’s also very stubborn and very proud so even though I worry that she is going to fall in the shower, she is adamant about not getting help!!!! According to my mother, Vidaza and her faith have been her lifeline through this.....
Her oncologist does not understand why she is still with us.... she was diagnosed in May 2014...
For whatever it’s worth, I would definitely recommend trying Vidaza. If it works, it can add years...if it wasn’t for Vidaza, my mother would have died years ago.