View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 12:05 PM
Owner

It seems that the insurance companies have statistics about it. I can understand why you'd want to know what those statistics say, both because of your life insurance issue and because you want to know whether you are still at risk.

I know people who were turned down for life insurance more than a dozen years after signs of a marrow disease had vanished.

My guess is that the statistics would show that your life expectancy is practically normal, but the insurance company bases their denials on whatever difference there is between people who once had SAA and people who never had SAA. Since aplastic anemia can resurface years after ATG (and be treated again with ATG), the risk is not zero. The possible indicators for lupus and leukemia might have indicated that some other risks were present too.

Every year that you've been free of disease makes it less likely that you'll ever have to deal with it again, and I'm glad you're doing so well. It's a shame that insurance companies make blanket decisions like this, even though if you're a non-smoker I bet your life expectancy is better than a smoker who never had SAA.