View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 08:33 PM

Dad with skin lesions . . . need help in diagnosing . . . he has MDS

Hi Everyone,

Please forgive me if these photos are upsetting but my Dad has MDS and we are dealing with a skin problem that no one has been able to identify . . . neither his blood doctor, infectious disease people or dermatologists know what is going on . . . Please help and if there is anyone who has seen this and can help us with this PLEASE let us know. My Dad is in so much pain and will probably be at the hospital tomorrow . . .

Here is some history on him.

He has MDS and last year was diagnosed with non-infectious TB in June of 2007 - result of a bone marrow test.

Currently his numbers are:

Platelets 11

White Count 5.3

Hemaglobin 7.2

He has had 3 cycle of Vidaza and is taking Neupogen and was taking Procrit 60,000 units a week but recently stopped that.

He has been off of TB medicine since June 2008.

This skin problem started when his platelets went down to 2 and he was hospitalized around the Christmas holiday. He was taking 60,000 Procrit each week (2006, 2007 & 2008). He was wondering if Procrit could become toxic in your body after this many years and dosage . . . His feet and hands were extremely swollen and red and then these lesions started to appear as the swelling started to disappear. They are extremely painful and he said he feels like his feet are in a vice or on fire. He also gets electrical pain in his feet. He cannot put shoes on or walk that much. His hands are very sore.

Tomorrow he will probably be going to the hospital as last night he was crying in pain even with oxycontin.
This is so troublesome because he has a very high tolerance for pain.

Anyone who can help or if any doctor is out there who has experience with this, please contact me at destwanick@yahoo.com.

Thanks to every sweet person out there living with this illness.

Love,
Donna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1036cr.jpg (48.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1037cr.jpg (68.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1039cr.jpg (36.7 KB, 23 views)