View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 7, 2007, 03:55 PM

Expired blood ?

Chris,
Never dreaming people in our position would EVER be given expired blood, I just recently started checking the dates of the blood I'm receiving. Decided to check because the last few txs have been ineffective and given me no color as previous ones had. I just received txs # 19 and 20. At #18 the blood expired that very day. # 19 expired the day before it was given to me. I have had no luck getting any answers regarding this from anyone in the medical field. I have also had no luck researching the internet. This does not seem right to me at all as my txs are to keep me alive, not tie me over from blood loss / surgery etc until my own marrow takes over once again. I am extremely concerned over this but no one seems to want to talk about it, including my doctor.

The shelf life of red blood cells is roughly 35-42 days. Fresher blood it would seem would have many more immature cells which would mature for your usage.

I have a feeling this may be common practice but we are not usually checking the expiration dates. Who would ever expect to be getting stale blood !

Sincerely,
Valerie
MDS 5q- since 1993
20 transfusions
Aranesp 500 mcg every other week- doubt it's helping