View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 8, 2011, 06:05 PM

Day 15 of Sapacitabine Clinical Trial

Wow, I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't for his numbers to all go WAY down, including his WBCs, which have never been down before. Yesterday was Day 15 of Cycle 1 and the nadir for Sapacitabine is 14 days. So I was expecting low numbers, but not that low. He basically had no platelets, the lab report said less than 4. So he had his first transfusions ever yesterday - one of platelets and one unit of blood. They had ordered two units of blood, but because the lab took so long in getting the blood to the infusion center, he was only able to get the one unit. We will go back next Wednesday and have labs and get additional blood, if needed.
I am just so stressed with these numbers. I'm hoping that this is the way this is supposed to work - the numbers go down and then back up. But I wasn't expecting them to take that much of a dive, especially all the lines.
I've trying reading online about Sapacitabine but it is way beyond my understanding.
So all I can do is wait and pray and hope that things will improve. He is to get another bone marrow biopsy before he begins Cycle 2, which will be on September 21st. I know that may tell us if the clinical trial is working or if he is getting worse or progressing toward AML. The waiting is tough.
But on the good side, he seems to feel okay. We're just trying to take it one day at a time.
Linda
Linda, Al's wife, 75; dx MDS 5/2010; Vidaza 6/2010; ARRY614 & Sapacitabine clinical trials at Emory, no results, stopped 12/2011. Had BMB at NIH on 6/5/12, blasts 10-15% so he's not eligible for trial there. :eek Promacta trial, Tampa, blasts 25-30% 8/17/12 AML, trying Dacogen now and praying.