View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 02:31 PM

Controlling Costs

Hello All,

My name is Brian Davidson, I am a Houston Based Private Investigator. One of my best clients called me yesterday and asked me to open a new investigation… This one is quite a bit different than I have done before, but I said I would see what I could do.

My client has decided to help out a family friend who has recently been diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia. She is 28 years old and has apparently had her diagnosis done at MD Anderson in Houston. She immigrated from South America 23 years ago. When immigrating her family signed a form which stated that the family had to agree not to receive medical assistance from the government. Therefore this young woman cannot take Medicaid. She works part time for a large national bank chain and doesn't qualify for benefits.

My friend hires me to solve all sorts of problems for him… so he has asked me to find out if there are any alternative ways to help this young woman find financial assistance to pay for her treatment. I haven't interviewed the young woman yet so I don't know the details of her treatment plans yet, I just know that my client had a close family friend die of a condition similar to this and therefore he is concerned.

Cash treatment is not necessarily out of the realm of possibility for my client, but it needs to be as inexpensive as possible. Here are my questions:

1. Can anyone provide me with an outlook related to the cash costs for ongoing treatment of Aplastic Anemia? (I realize that there are several factors that affects costs)
2. How likely is it to find charitable organizations who would contribute?
3. If a Bone Marrow Transplant is needed, does anyone have experience with Global Medical Tourism to be able to afford treatment?

I suppose my client wants me to let him know what to expect financially if he started to help out...

Thank you very much if you can drop a quick note with a range of the financial obligations you've experienced.