Thread: In denial?
View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 31, 2013, 06:57 AM

Question In denial?

Hi, my son was diagnosed with severe aplastic anemia at the beginning of July 2013. He is 19 and was expecting to start university this September, but we were informed almost immediately that that was not going to happen.

Since then he has been getting weekly blood and platelet transfsions. We were all tested, but none of us is a match for him. The doctors were hopeful that his sister might be a match, but sadly no. My son id quite laid back about his condition. He seems to have little interest in learning anything about it, and acts as if it is nothing. In some ways it is good, because he is quite relaxed, and when he found out his sister was not a match, he just said "oh well, never mind". It means that he doesn't seem to be worrying, but on the other hand, he is not facing the reality of what lies ahead. Is it just better to leave him be in his relative ignorance so that he doesn't get depressed. He doesn't seem worried about his future like many others here on the forum. I am not really sure how 'aware' he should be. The doctors are not giving a huge amount of information. He is just beginning to ask questions, and they are very careful to answer only the questions he asks.

The doctors have him on the list for a transplant and are currently doing more detailed testing on his bone marrow to deternine how likely he is to find a donor quickly. They are not yet considering ATG treatment, as they have said that BMT is his best option at the moment.

Would be grateful for your thoughts on whether you think his approach to AA is usual and if I am worrying unnecessarily about his apparent lack of interest.

Thanks