Thread: New: Dad has AA
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 09:35 AM

Exclamation Not Responding

First, thanks to all who have responded to my posts.

I wanted to let you all know that right now the docs are saying that my Dad is not responding to treatment. He was home for a couple of days and then returned to the hospital. He has no use of his legs, cannot walk. He complains of headaches. The did a CT scan to see if he had bleeding on the brain, that was okay nothing showed. He received irradiated platelets last night and right now his platelets are at 21,000. The docs say his prognosis is grim, 40% survival is what they are giving us.

I live 8 hours a way and I feel so helpless, my sister's are trying to do their best at asking questions, demanding tests but we are just learning about this disease and aren't even sure we are doing, saying the right things.

Please respond. Give me an idea of what I need to do for my Dad, I don't like the 40% survival. He is newly diagnosed only 3 weeks from initial diagnosis. I suspect he may have PNH as well. We are going to approach his doctors about having him tested for that. What is the treatment for PNH? What can we do to increase Dad's odds for survival?

Laurie