View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 1, 2017, 10:08 PM

Thanks

Rar & Neil,
Thanks for your comments. My (former) hematologist told me before the transplant that the radiation (TBI) could cause cataracts but never mentioned prednisone. My ophthalmologist said that in his opinion the prednisone was more the cause than the radiation.

I was at a conference yesterday at Moffitt Cancer Center and two bone marrow transplant experts said that the prednisone's known adverse effects included ulcers and cataracts. They were not recommending I stop the prednisone - I had done that over a month ago. My cataracts are so bad I can hardly drive, watch TV, read, or use a cell phone. I have plans to have surgery later this month and can't wait. It has really had a negative effect on my quality of life.

The ulcer I had was life threatening. Seriously! I was taken to the ER unconscious and was given ten units of blood. That night I was in the ICU and the surgeon called my wife at home and said they had to do surgery immediately due to amount of blood I was losing. He said he could not guarantee I would live. He needed her permission to operate as I couldn't give it.

Data

Last edited by Data : Fri Sep 1, 2017 at 10:30 PM.