View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 01:43 PM

...one more thing I'd add. I found exercise to be crucial to improve mood & energy levels, decrease side-effects, and enable sleep. That included when I felt crappy and exercise was the last thing I wanted to to. While the particular preference in exercise type is up to the individual, it seems some form of exercise is crucial.

I still find this to be the case. In my path from health, to SAA, back towards restored health, I went from running, skiing, and backpacking - to literally being unable to stand up in the shower - to bundling up in the cold after transfusions and walking as much as I could (doctor's orders, I've had some very good doctors) - to slowly weaning off the transfusions and walking a bit further, then slowly jogging, then going on longer hikes. As many push-ups and sit-ups as I could do. Some yoga.

This past summer I climbed mountains with my sons with our packs full of camping gear. Last weekend I went skiing with my son. I am about to take my dogs on a 4 mile jog over hilly terrain. I also work full time again. So although the effects of aplastic anemia persist in me, I am immensely grateful for my improvements. I have my life back.

I remember how overwhelmingly frightening everything was when I was at your point in treatment. But in all likelihood, things are going to get MUCH better for you in the weeks, months, and years ahead. Improvement may be very slow, but I believe it can be helped along by outlook, endurance, and exercise.
Kevin, male age 45; dx SAA 02/2012 - Hgb 5.8, platelets 14, ANC 200, 1% cellularity. Received ATG 03/2012. As of 03/2015, significant improvement - Hgb 15, platelets 158, ANC fluctuates around 1000, Lymphocytes 620. Tapering cyclosporine. BMB 20-30% cellularity.