View Single Post
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 02:58 PM

My daughter will be a donor

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this; however, My daughter is going to be a bone marrow donor in July for a person that has SAA. She has been found to be a 10/10 MUD. I am trying to learn everything that I can about the transplant process so I will know better what to expect in the future for her and her recipient. She will be donating bone marrow and not stem cell. I would love to find out any information that you all may know about the process or experiences you may have had. I think that I have read that BMT is preferable to stem cell donation with AA. Is that correct? Also- have any of you met your donor? I would love to hear from recipients their thoughts and feelings regarding this. She and I have already become very emotionally invested in the hopes her marrow will take in her recipient. We are maintaining the confidentiality as requested by the registry. I will say they are both young and within 5 years of each other's age. Any information regarding transplants would be so appreciated! I know this forum is typically for people with blood illnesses and not donors but my daughter and I want to learn all we can about this entire process from both perspectives. She is so honored to be able to do this for someone.