View Single Post
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 06:25 PM

Hi Jordan's Mom -

Your daughter is doing an amazing and wonderful thing - I received a transplant in September - from a 24 year old woman - also marrow. That's all I know about her at least for now - I was allowed to send an anonymous email at 6 months but haven't heard anything back yet. I often wonder what kind of person goes through a painful procedure to save a complete stranger's life -- its really awesome.

I pray for my donor almost daily and am grateful beyond words for her gift - she gave me back my life. I approach life now with renewed energy, humility and an enormous sense of gratitude - and reinforced feeling of obligation to live with meaning and purpose - I really want to make her proud.

Donating marrow is, I imagine, fairly unpleasant - but hopefully she'll recover without too much trouble.

I have a transplant friend who has become very close with his donor - they get together often and he (the recipient) has become a bit of a father figure to his donor and his family - its very nice. Of course not everyone makes contact.

I suspect you raised your daughter well - and should be quite proud of her.

Best wishes to you both,
Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015