View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 8, 2014, 10:23 AM

The Vidaza got my counts into the normal range. I knew (and the doctors knew) that I would not get better without the transplant. So we developed the plan from initial diagnosis while knowing that there could (and probably would) be variations of the "plan". Generally Vidaza has an indeterminable length of effectiveness.

Naturally everyone is different with these diseases/transplants. I am on Day +116 following transplant. I feel as good as before I had MDS. I fast walked four miles last week. Of course I am fully aware that this easily can change at any time. I have only had one transfusion and that was a day before the transplant (just after the chemo) when my platelets got to 8. I have zero regrets about the transplant because I probably wouldn't be alive today without it. I went into the transplant in good physical condition and I feel (and many studies confirm) that that is/was very important. In all of this it is important to be aware of optimum time for each procedure.

The thing that I soon realized is that there is no absolute course of action for so much of this. Education about this is so important so a person can work with the doctors in every phase.