View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 01:34 PM

Hi Birgitta,
They did do an extensive exam of Don's eyes before starting Promacta. The doctor made note of something she saw in his eyes but didn't take any pictures so we don't know if it was the beginnings of cataracts - which is what they saw with his 2nd exam. They took over 100 pictures at his 2nd exam so they should have what they need for comparison. You mentioned Predinose - Don is on a 2 month slow taper of Prednisone for a colon inflammation. Started at 20mg. per day for 2 weeks and has been dropping 5mg. every 2 weeks until he finishes the last 2 weeks at 5mg. per day. I don't know if Predinose is the only steroid that can cause cataracts. If other types affect it, that could have worked against him as well as he always gets an IV dose of Solu-Medrol - which is also a steroid - with every transfusion to help prevent reactions.
Thank you for answering as always and will keep you posted.
Take care,
Sally
Well Birgitta, just out of curiosity I looked up Solu-Medrol and one of the side effects they specifically noted was posterior subcapsular cataracts. You are truly a storehouse of knowledge. I'll swear with these drugs you're damned if you do - damned if you don't. You just have to pick your poison. Thanks again for the information.

Last edited by Sally C : Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Additional information