View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 5, 2011, 01:11 PM

Hello,

This thread is more than a year old, but I figured I will reply as I can relate to this. My wife was recently diganosed with Epilesy about three years ago. She was initially put on Dilantin but was withdrawn after seeing reactions (rashes) from it. They put her on Keppra XR. We've been taking this med for more than 2 years now... 1000mg a day. It's been somewhat helpful in controlling her seizures (she had couple of grand mal seizures in this period, which doctors say is due to her missing her medication). She had contiunous aura's (prelude to seizure), so recently we decided to increase her dosage from 1000mg to 1500mg. We were taking this dosage for about a month but didn't see any improvement. We decided to take it back down to 1000mg. Shortly afterwards, we strated seeing bruises on her leg. After couple of months, we decided to see the doctor. She was then diagnosed with SAA. I told the doctors about this medication change, but no one seems to believe that this is due to Keppra. The odds of having these 2 symptoms (SAA + Epilesy) is probably 1 in several hundred billions.... are you kidding me?

She had her first ATG last week and still taking Keppra on top of all her AA medications. We are watiing for her platelet count to go up to the level we can tak the risk and take her off Keppra. These medications may help control seizures but they can do some damage elsewhere.

If you have any questions, feel free to call 201-621-2390.