View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 09:14 PM

Financial Train Wreck! :(

Hi everyone out there!

I haven't posted here in a while, so I figured I would check in. I'm doing really well the second anniversary of my diagnosis approaches. My blood counts are better than they have ever been and my Ferritin is flirting with dropping below 1,000.

That's the good news....

Now the not so good. I am really finding myself in tough financial times of late. I am back at my job and clicking along at 100%, but MAN...am I getting slammed by creditors.

This disease caught me at the worst possible time (is there ever a good time?)

My house that was once worth $400,000 in 2005 (remember the good ol' days) tanked to a value of $230ish....and I owed $270 on the mortgage. For a bunch of complicated reasons, I had to walk away from it and let it go into foreclosure.

I had also just inked a divorce 2 weeks before my diagnosis. My ex has been very kind and supportive, but still....there are financial ramifications even if you are on good terms.

And I was in the middle of an MA/doctoral program (with student loan debt) when the ton of bricks fell.

In an ideal world, my salary and savings would have been enough to manage all of this...but then, Wham!

So, I'm really trying to dig myself out of this hole, but some of my creditors have been less than flexible and the "B-word" doesn't seem so out of the question. I would only qualify for Chapter-13.

My Friday afternoons are spent wheeling and dealing with banks and insurance companies, and it's getting very OLD!

Anyway, I hate to sound all complainy, but I was wondering if any of you out there had any advice or insight.

Thanks