Thread: What to expect
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 25, 2011, 09:35 AM

Met the Dr.

Well, we met with Dr. Boxer of AZ Oncology in Tucson and rec'd copies of some of the bloodwork and bone marrow biopsy reports from the last 9 mos. Looks like the rbc and wbc are staying slightly low (3.1 and 3.8) but the platelets have dropped from 88 in Aug. 2010 to 53 in 5/11. It seems the 2 attempted bone marrow biopsies and aspirations (12/2010 and 5/2011) didn't yield enough cells to analyze. The "marrow was diluted by peripheral blood and the aspirate smears contain a rare hypocellular marrow particle with rare marrow elements", but suboptimal for hematologic evaluation. Dr. Boxer apologized several times for not obtaining a good sample and wants to try a 3rd time. It was painful and expensive (grad student univ. insurance) so we're wondering what to do next - what will be different this time? He said he does about 150/yr so it sounds like he's experienced. I asked about U of AZ hematology for a 2nd opinion and he suggested the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale, AZ and said he would contact his friend there. My daughter is active and not feeling any symptoms but I see lots of bruises, probably from throwing herself against hard objects while playing ult frisbee and riding mtn bikes, but still... I've noticed she gets dizzy standing up quickly, but then that's pretty common. Dr. had originally said "AA but not really." Now there's no diagnosis given. The platelet drop is what worries me. Any ideas or thoughts?