View Single Post
Old Thu May 5, 2011, 12:54 AM
Owner

Leanne,

You can check the units on the lab report, but I think that they are reporting thousands of cells per microliter (K/μL) rather than in cells per microliter (/μL) as I used. If so, then your son's numbers are
absolute neutrophil count = 3,180/μL
absolute reticulocyte count = 16,500/μL
platelet count = 234,000/µL
Not the SAA range.

WBC and RBC and platelets (cells in circulating blood) are important in determining if he needs transfusions or what side effects of low counts he's at risk for. The ANC indicates the level of neutropenia (risk of infection). 3,180 is in the normal range (no neutropenia). The ARC is a measure of immature (baby) red cells and provides clues to the production (or lack of production) in the bone marrow.

MCV is mean cell volume, meaning a measure of red blood cell size. Those MCV numbers don't seem high to me. Are they really higher than the reference ranges shown on the lab reports? If he does have elevated MCV it can be a sign of folate deficiency or vitamin B12 deficiency.

I hope you will ask the pediatric hematologist to explain your son's lab test results. Maybe the correct interpretation depends on your son's age so one formula doesn't fit everyone. Even though other forum members and I are laypersons, talking to us may help you learn some of the doctor lingo and decide on the best questions to ask at your son's next appointment.