View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 23, 2013, 01:04 PM

BBB,
I have some similar results (but am not on chemotherapy). My docs are concerned about the ongoing (1.5ys) neutropenia but have not been concerned by the borderline low/low RBC with consistently elevated MCV (~100-102). I read that one important way of looking at it was to have reticulocytes measured (my docs have only done this twice, and the recent time was because I asked!), and to calculate the "Reticulocyte Production Index: caluclation to determine whether bone marrow is producing an appropriate response", which should be 1-2%. Ie, if RBC are low, retic count should be up. My RBC are low, my reticulocyte count (absolute) was low, and the RPI was low (in my understanding of it)!). So .4% reticulocytes, 14960 absolute retics; and .33 RPI. But because my hgb was wnl, docs aren't concerned. I've wondered if my blood cells compensate for fewer RBC by making them larger? I don't know what it all means, sorry!

My rheum's choice of drug for me is a low-dose chemo agent, but she's witholding that until we rule out any bone marrow trouble. The med could theoretically help suppress an autoimmune cause to my blood cell problem, resulting in an increase in blood cells. But of course, it could horribly go wrong, inhibiting bone marrow production even further. I've a hit a wall where there is nowhere to go right now in treating me.

Good luck!