View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 31, 2011, 06:50 PM

pvinod,

Hopeful has experience with this, so I second her recommendation that you be persistent with her doctors.

I did find this on the AA&MDS website:

Quote:
ATG and Lymphocytes
Why would an aplastic anemia (or MDS) patient receiving ATG have high lymphocyte count if ATG is supposed to suppress lymphocytes?

Until the patient responds, which may take 2-6 months it is very common that the only surviving white blood cells are lymphocytes. The lymphocyte count usually drops somewhat after ATG therapy, but it is not long before it comes back up. It is important to remember that there are many different types of lymphocytes such as T-cells, B-cells, and natural killer cells. In patients who respond to ATG, the lymphocyte count also rises but the sub-set of "bad" T-lymphocytes that cause the aplastic anemia does not. You can't tell by doing a CBC the type of lymphocytes that are coming back (i.e. good B-cells and good T-cells that protect from infection vs. the "bad" T-cells). This is a very difficult thing to test for even in academic laboratories. Most patients, including the approximately 75% who respond to ATG, have this same pattern of lymphocytes after ATG therapy is given. ATG is not intended to kill all lymphocytes, just the overactive ones that cause marrow aplasia.
That text was taken from this page: (http://www.aamds.org/aplastic/diseas...uppressive_th/)

So it seems it is not unusual for the lymphocyte count to be high, but the 95% you cite does sound very high indeed.

Good luck to you and your daughter.

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com