View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 25, 2011, 02:37 PM

Post newly diagnosed hypoplastic MDS

Hi,

I'm excited to find this forum and get information from others. I've also joined an MDS forum. I'm finding both very helpful!

I'm newly diagnosed with (the hematologist thinks) hypoplastic MDS. I'm an otherwise healthy 57 yr. old woman whose only symptoms so far are shortness of breath from anemia and easy bruising from low platelets. All my cell counts (red, white & platelets) are low and slowly declining, but my differentials and blood chemistry are all normal. Inflammatory/autoimmune markers (ESR, CRP, ANA, etc.), for what it's worth, have been very high for some time. My BMB showed no blasts and no cytogenic/chromosomal abnormalities, but only 10% of cell producing marrow (if I have the term correct) instead of the 40% that it should be, thus the hypoplastic part of the DX.

I'm wondering, though, because of the absence of blasts and cytogenic/chromosomal abnormalities, if this is something more like AA, or another autoimmune-type condition that is doing a number on my marrow. I have decided to get a second opinion at Dana Farber in Boston, near where I live (I'm currently seeing an MD at Beth Israel Deaconess). It will probably be a month or two before I can schedule that. My current MD has me on watch and wait, although he also said that he would like to get everything going for bone marrow transplant, so...I'm a bit confused.

One more thing, that may or may not have anything to do with my Dx. I developed a lung condition called BOOP (bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia) three years ago, out of the blue. It is thought to be an autoimmune/inflammatory type disease, usually treated with corticosteroids (prednisone). I have taken prednisone a few times in the past when I've had a flare up, but I've been stable for 1 1/2 years now, with normal lung function, but still persistent mucous and "squeaking" in my lungs with every breath. Until the recent anemia from the presumed MDS, I did many aerobic sports -- running, biking, swimming, x-country skiing, mountain climbing, etc. I'm just wondering if the BOOP and MDS are related?

Sorry to go on so long. I just have so many questions and am trying to figure this all out. Thanks so much for any input!