View Single Post
Old Mon May 21, 2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenish View Post
for years and years i have never ever been ill - even when i was diagnosed with SAA I was not ill as such and hadn't had so much as a cold for years...now just over a year after diagnosis and treatment with alg rabbit, i have had one sinus infection which cleared up quicker than my colleagues at work, my whites are not at full strength yet.
I put this down to the fact that for all these years I have been a clinician and religiously use hand sanitizer every hour or so, and when i have toileted, touch doors etc etc. My consultant said that the majority of bugs are transfered via hand to eyes..... just watch someone and see how many times they do touch their eyes in a day after handling money, door handles, each other etc. Of course it can't be proven 100% but I am convinced that adding this extra precaution helps with not picking up infections. good luck all and as ford prefect says in brave new world.....be well! xx (well i think that is who said it)
Hi Marlene and Karenish,
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I'm sure I'm not as infection-aware as I was when I was much sicker and taking IST, so I will try to resume better habits. Karenish, I think you are right about the number of times we put hands to eyes. Handkerchiefs are inherently unsanitary too, but probably protect others better than ourselves. I still don't understand why the number and length of infections has increased drasticly, but it may be a bad season for respiratory problems here. I see the oncologist for 6 month follow up this week and will see if he thinks it's something worthy of following up on. Best of health to both of you
Flyguy AKA Ron