View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 12, 2018, 05:31 PM

Wifemomof5,

I wish that I could give you more reassurances, but I think that you are in that difficult place of not knowing enough to worry or relax about the situation, and sorting this out can take a little bit of time, test, and observation.

Elevated wbc and platelets with weird bruising could be related to a number of issues and are symptomatic, not the driving factors.

As for the bone marrow biopsy, I have had about 24 of them since 2010, and while they can hurt, it is usually worse if you have low platelets. There is pain for a day or two to a few days, but it is rarely debilitating. If your husband has a choice, have them use the drill instead of doing it manually as it is faster and less painful.

Some doctors will use short-acting sedation for the procedure as well, although with the drill, that seems a little overkill.

Best bets going forward, document all symptoms, times of day that they are happening, location of aches and pains, how long they last, what they respond to - ibuprofen or tylenol or whatever he is taking, if anything, any question you have, write it down and ask in your next appointment, because you will inevitably forget a symptom that you are concerned about, or miss a question that you had without the list.

I wish you both the very best in the coming weeks.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.