View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 12:28 AM

What a week this has been !!!

Hello Everyone;
What a week this has been. We went for Earl's Monday AM blood draw - and his platelets were down to 7 - and his Hgb was only 7.8. He was scheduled for an upper and lower GI on Tuesday - so they did a one unit transfusion of PRBC's - and a large 6 unit bag of platelets. Post transfusion his platelets were only up to 14, and we had to get him home - and give him the Mag Citrate to get the prep started. So - he spent most of the evening a lot of the night in the bathroom. Got to the hospital Tuesday AM - and they ran another bag of platelets in - and his count was only up to 20. The Dr. came and talked to us, and said that he was worried if something should go wrong, and he started to bleed - that he couldn't stop it - so it was finally cancelled at 4:30 PM - but the hema/onc had ordered 2 bags of platelets so they infused the second one and we finally got out of there at almost 8PM.
Yesterday - he was wiped out and spent most of the day in bed. He did ride with me to Lowe's to get our storm door ordered - but didn't go in.
Today - we went for his normal blood draw - and again - levels were in the pits. So - we got back to the hospital, and they took his temp - and it was elevated to 102.8. They called the Dr. and he said to hold the blood and give him some Tylenol - to help bring the temp down. It did get down to 100.2 - and they called the Dr. again - he said to wait for another hour - and also ordered a chest Xray and ordered a Urine C&S, and blood cultures. So - we had all of that done - and again - the nurse called the Doc. His X-ray came out normal, and of course - we have no idea of the cultures. The Dr. wanted him to go to the ER - and probably be admitted - he refused, and we came home. I gave him another dose of Tylenol and a Cipro - and he slept for quite a while.
So - that means tomorrow we will be back at the hospital for another long day stay of 2 units of PRBC's and one large bag of platelets, and of course the desferal. We are both exhausted, and I am getting very depressed watching him wither in front of my eyes.
Thanks for letting me vent, and sorry I haven't been here much lately.
Beth

Last edited by milliken2 : Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 06:21 AM. Reason: forgot a word