Thread: mds
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 7, 2008, 10:31 PM

Smile Port not restrictive

Eileen, my understanding is that there are two kinds of ports, a Hickman catheter and my Powerport. The catheter stays in place with two leads leading out from where it is inserted in the chest wall. It's used when the need for chemo, blood and other uses are very frequent. It has to be kept clean constantly.

The Powerport is inserted surgically below the skin on the breastbone. Nothing sticks out and you can shower or hold someone close to you without restriction. There is a little cup, about 3/4 in deep and as wide as a nickel, to which is attached a line to the jugular vein just below the skin. It's not visible. A special needle is inserted as needed into the cup and cleaned when inserted and withdrawn. Very low maintenance. I leave it in up to a week when getting meds, sometimes getting it withdrawn if it becomes itchy and having another neede inserted the next day. It's not hard, but if your concerned, the nurse or tech can give you a shot of lidocaine so it's totally painless. I've become rather attached to mine as it saves me so much discomfort.
Steve Kessler,Age 71, Dx 3/2001, Currently AML converted from MDS, 5q-, 11q23, Negative response to Aranesp, Revlimid. Partial response to Vidaza in the past. On a study using ON1910.NA, counts too low to go to Stanford on schedule.