View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 20, 2013, 03:47 AM

Stopping all treatment

Today Dean and I decided to stop all treatment, the Vidaza and transfusions.

He is so very weak, and his quality of life is not improving, he no longer has the strength to go on.

We have called Hospice and they will be here today.

When Dean spoke to his oncologist today, we asked him how long he feels Dean could last without anymore treatment and he said just a couple of weeks because all of his counts are so very low.

I am afraid to ask what is going to happen now, but yet I want to know. I know Hospice will help Dean with any discomfort, but what will happen over the next few days now that we have stopped all care.

Thank you to everyone on this forum for always being here to give me support, hugs, hope, and friendship. Fifteen months ago we had no idea what we would be facing. A week before we found out Dean had MDS, Robin Roberts announced that she had this disease. We never thought that a week later Dean would be in a hospital and we would find out he also had this disease that we had never heard of.

It has been a long, hard fifteen months. Constant doctor visits, transfusions, shots, chemo, labs, hospital stays, etc., yet Dean has never complained or been angry, just very scared at times. We didn't have a chance to do much together during these last fifteen months, we feel as though we were eating, sleeping, and breathing MDS constantly, but we did have fifteen months together, and we are so thankful for that gift.

Please keep Dean in your thoughts and pray that he will have peace and comfort during these next few weeks. Thank you so much.

Lots of love, hugs, faith, hope, prayers and a little laughter every day!
Dean,age 76, dx MDS, RAEB-2, 17% blasts, June 2012 - May 2013 - Dacogen with Neupogen and transfusions as needed. End of May 2013 Dacogen stopped working. BMB July 2013 shows RAEB-2 and severe Myelofibrosis. Passed away September 30, 2013