View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 13, 2011, 09:16 PM

Started Vidaza Today

My husband started his first round of Vidaza today. I wasn't expecting two shots . . . but otherwise I think it went as expected. We had to do labs again first because he had been having problems over the weekend. So I guess it's the same routine every day this week (MTWTF) and then again Monday and Tuesday of next week. Labs every Thursday . . . and other times as needed. We'll be watching blood counts closely. Start all over again 4 weeks from today. Doctor's visit mid-way. OK, we can do this.

I know we start subcutaneously because side effects are lesser than with IV, and they will move the injection location around to minimize skin reaction. I think I read somewhere (here?) that evening primrose oil can help with that, so I asked our chemo nurse. She knew of this also and told me to cover an area about 4 inches square around the injection site. Hope that helps.

I know nausea is a likely reaction, so we got a prescription for that . . . and my husband is, indeed, experiencing the nausea. I don't think he has thrown up yet, but he is pretty miserable.

He says that he just hurts all over. He had a pretty rough day yesterday and fell five times . . . so that may be the cause of the hurt/ache. Has anyone else experienced the body aches?

I read (I think here?) that Vidaza can cause a drop in the blood sugar . . . he diabetic, so I'm watching for that. He hasn't felt like eating, so I haven't given him any insulin.

I think we've got things under control. Well, maybe not really under control . . . but we know what's going on and are coping.

Anything else I should be alert for? Any further advice? Sure hope this works!

Thanks
hubby 73, dx NHL 2001, CNS involvement. SCT (auto) 5/08 [dx UTUC renal pelvis, 2010/surgeries/MMC], MANY recurrences, chemos, surgeries, rad. dx t-MDS 3/11: IPSS 1.5 (Int-2); MDA 11, RCMD trilineage, inc. Fe, ring sideroblasts, 7q del/mono 7 (51.5%), 46,XY,t(6,17)(p22;q25)[4]/45,XY,-7[4]/46,XY[12].