View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 12:48 PM

Vidaza

Hi Darice;
Sounds like you have things under control with Jens.
My wife had the same subcutaneous injections which usually involved 2 injections each time. My wife said that it felt like it was burning when it was injected. We didn't know of the Primrose oil at the time but is sounds great and you have it available to use right after the injection.
Don't be afraid to give medicine for pain. Tylenol sounds ok. Ask the doctor.
My wife had Kytral for nausea which worked well. At first she didn't take it and still didn't get much nausea.
My wife experience very few side effects for three cycles. The platelets did go down from15 to 5 which led to 2 transfusions of platelets per week. The Hgb went down to 75 and required 1 transfusion per week instead of 1 per two weeks.
The doctor did say that some patients gave up after one or two cycles because of nasty side effects but it was important to grim and bear it for as much as possible to get through this nasty stage.
Stay on top of his vitals and if you need anything to keep him comfortable and can't get hold of the oncologist see your GP and he will get you something. I needed to get something for my wife to relieve her of the pains she was getting in her legs and the GP recomended Tylenol Arhritis since we wanted to be careful not to get an anti inflamatory med that would cause bleeding in the stomach becaise her low platelets.
Look at some of the other forums who are going through similar treatment. There are many different situations with similar diagnosis and treatments. It has helped us a lot just to talk about it and get some good leads and suggestions.
All the best to you and Jens.
Wife 63, June 2010 MDS (refr anemia - excess blasts type-2) PLTs 11,000/μl with giant forms 2 TF/wk. Hgb kept at 80g/l with 1TF per 2 weeks. 9% blasts 2 cytogenic abnormalities del(5)(q22q35) + inv(20)(p11.23q11.21) 3 cycles Vidaza no effect. June 2011 to AML WBC to 67 blasts and Aur rods in blood.