View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 06:31 PM

Question Transplant time frame

I went to Dana Farber in Boston for a 2nd opinion of my diagnosis and treatment. I was able to meet with Dr. David Steensma and he agreed with my dr. from North Shore LIJ, Long Island, NY diagnosis and treatment (Vidaza) and need for a transplant. I then met with a transplant Dr. Dr.Cutler who informed me that at Dana Farber, you are released from the hospital the day after the transplant! and length of total stay is usually 8 days. You then must live close to the area for 100 days, for follow up out patient treatment, coming to the cancer center. After that I could return to NY, for futher follow up with my local drs.

North Shore LIJ hospital,in NY where I am also considering the transplant, has said its usually 4 weeks in the hospital. Which I thought was usual.

Has anyone heard of such a short time in hospital, with a release the day after transplant? The dr. claims they have the highest success rate in the US and a high proportion of MDS transplants.

Now I have a lot to think about.

thanks,
Donna'
f68 MDS; abmt 1/12. ABO mismatch 11 mos. (70) transf. Ferr 3-5k. 8 phlebot. AGVHD to CGVHD. skin,eyes. lungs as of 10/13. muscle weakness &osteo long term steroids.photopheresis 2x wk as of 3-15.pred 20 eod,acyclovir, mepron, voriconazole, pantropazole, lisinopril, montelukast, anoro, azithromycin.