Thread: going on exjade
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 10:59 PM

Hey Amber!

I've been on Exjade for about 40 days now (1500mg per day). I've had almost nothing in the way of side effects. According to the package insert, about a quarter of folks reported abdominal pain and 10-20% had either nausea, diarrhea, or vomiting. But I've been lucky and had none of that. Less than one percent of folks have side effects related to vision or hearing, and a small percentage of folks had kidney problems.

At the risk of grossing you out by providing too much information, the only effects I have noticed is a red tinge to urine (the iron being expelled) and occasionally loose stools.

The drug comes as surprisingly large white tablets (about the size of a nickel). These have to be dropped into water or juice and the mixture stirred until the fine powder is well distributed in the solution. You wait 30 minutes before eating anything.

It is frightfully expensive. My tree tablet daily dose goes for $7,300 per month. So, it pays to have good health insurance.

Good luck!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com